23 breeds of indigenous cattle saw fall in numbers in 2012-19: Report


TWENTY-THREE BREEDS of indigenous farm animals registered a decline in numbers – starting from 1.08% to 93.48% – in seven years between 2012 and 2019, in keeping with the newest breed-wise file of farm animals and poultry in India.

The file, which is in response to twentieth Livestock Census carried out right through 2018-19, was once launched through Union Fisheries, Animal Husbandry and Dairying Minister Parshottam Rupala on Thursday.

According to the file, the whole choice of indigenous farm animals declined through 6% to fourteen.21 crore in 2019 from 15.12 crore in 2012. Their proportion within the overall farm animals inhabitants fell to 73% from 79% right through this era.

However, the choice of Exotic/Crossbred farm animals grew from 3.9 crore in 2012 to five crore in 2019. The Census defines “Exotic” farm animals as “the animals which have their origin in other countries”.

According to the 20 th Livestock Census, “Animals which belong to Descript (identified)/Non-descript (non-identified) breeds of indigenous origin are considered as indigenous animals.”

The file has divided indigenous farm animals inhabitants in two teams – 41 recognised breeds and Non-Descript. Of the indigenous farm animals inhabitants, Non-Descript had essentially the most numbers – 10.02 crore – right through 2019, whilst the blended choice of 41 breeds stood at 2.49 crore. However, the similar knowledge is to be had for simplest 37 breeds, of which 23 breeds have noticed a decline, whilst 14 have registered an build up in numbers.

Among 5 breeds, that have noticed most decline of their numbers, are Khariar (-93%), Kherigarh (-75%), Kenkatha (-67%), Motu (56%) and Hariana (56%). The choice of Khariar, discovered basically in Odisha and Chhattisgarh, has come down from 3,83,824 in 2013 to twenty-five,021 in 2019.

The Hariana breed is located basically in Haryana, Uttar Pradesh, Rajasthan, Madhya Pradesh and Bihar; Motu is located in Odisha; Red Kandhari in Maharashtra; Kenkatha in Madhya Pradesh and Uttar Pradesh; and Kherigarh in Uttar Pradesh.

Other breeds that have registered a decline are: Dangi, discovered basically in Maharashtra and Gujarat; Rathi (Rajasthan, Punjab and Haryana); Deoni (Maharashtra, Karnataka and Telangana); Tharparkar (Uttar Pradesh, Rajasthan and Jharkhand); Kangayam (Tamil Nadu); Binjharpuri (Odisha); Kankrej (Gujarat and Rajasthan); Nagori (Rajasthan and Punjab); Malnad Gidda (Karnataka); Mewati (Uttar Pradesh); Khillar (Karnataka and Maharashtra); Kosali (Chhattisgarh); Malvi (Madhya Pradesh, Maharashtra and Rajasthan); Umbla Cherry (Tamil Nadu); Gaolao (Madhya Pradesh and Maharashtra); Ghumusari (Odisha); and Hallikar (Karnataka).

The 14 indigenous breeds, that have registered an build up between 2012-19 are: Vechur (512%), Punganur, (369%), Bargur (240%), Bachaur (181%), Krishna Valley (57%), Pulikulum, (38%), Siri (36%), Gir (34.12%), Amritmahal (31%), Sahiwal (22%), Ongole (11%), Red Sindhi (10%), Nimari (6) and Ponwar (2.46%).

In phrases of absolute quantity, Gir had the easiest inhabitants of 68.57 lakh adopted through Lakhimi (68.29 lakh) and Sahiwal (59 lakh).

According to the 20 th Livestock Census, 36.04% of the farm animals inhabitants belong to farm animals.

Newsletter | Click to get the day’s best explainers in your inbox

On the instance, Rupala highlighted the “significance” of the file for the upgradation of farm animals.

The knowledge comes days after the Supreme Court issued notices to Centre and states on a plea in search of its intervention within the decline within the inhabitants of indigenous cows.





Source link

Leave a Comment